Programmes currently run through the Learning Centre are:
- Numeracy support groups (Yr 7&8, Yr 9&10, L1 Numeracy) - Small groups that meet once a week to build on gaps in the student’s knowledge and build self confidence.
- Literacy support groups (Yr 7&8, Yr 9&10, L1 Literacy) - Small groups that meet once a week to develop reading comprehension skills and build self confidence.
- Buddy Reading - Senior Students buddy with Yr 7-9 students who would benefit from reading mileage. Students meet 2-3 times per week in the Library during morning whanau time.
- SPEC - South Pacific Education Courses - This is a comprehensive programme developed by Carolyn Baines. There are several courses that are designed to be motivational, give student choice and develop the Key Competencies (Thinking, Relating to Others, Using Language, Symbols and Texts, Managing Self and Participating and Contributing).
At Otamatea we run:
- SPEC Kiwi Quest - for students with particular learning needs. Students who complete this programme may move onto to Trump/Headway courses.
- SPEC Trump/Headway - For students in yr 8-10 who need to build their self belief and engage in learning in a positive, productive way.
- The NZ Certificate in Foundation Skills Level 1 - This is NOT an NCEA course but a separate Level 1 qualification which will appear on the students NZQA Record of Learning. This is a two year programme which is designed to assist students who may find it difficult to achieve NCEA. At Otamatea most of our students studying this will be able to develop and use material from these courses toward their NCEA L1 Literacy.